sábado, 23 de noviembre de 2013

Longevity: Refusing to Be Invisible

                       

Being polite with older people

For me being polite is like helping and visiting older people so in this topic I will talk about what young people and many people do to be kind to the elderly. Also talk about how we should be with them. Also on what I was taught, but I don`t do it for fear that when I help them they physical attacks me or think I`m a thief, when they might thank me for the favor I did. And I`m going to tell you my personal opinion.

To be kind to an elderly person, I was taught that should help them cross the street, or in case that you have seen that they went shopping bags help to take, I do it with my grandmother, but if I do it with a stranger she may attack me and call the police for the scare I gave her. Another way to be kind to them is by visiting them in an assisted living facility, so they can see that there are people who care about them and realize that we are like their grandchildren. I have visit many assisted living facility and I spent good time with them. I know a Christian group that visit this kind people in hospitals, they pray, sing and talk with them every Saturday and when they finish they take them to the chapel that they have.


 In my opinion there should be different youth groups, or even anyone can take an afternoon and visit, play and talk with them, because they always have stories to tell and it is nice to spend time with them. I think that not many people do those things and this is sad for me because when I visit them I see their smiles.

Tag questions:

A tag question is a special construction in English. It is a statement followed by a mini-question. The hole sentence is a "tag question", and the mini-question at the end is called a "question tag".

A "tag" is something small that we add to something larger.
Example: The little piece of cloth added to a shirt showing size or washing instruction is a tag.

We use tag questions at the end of statements to ask for confirmation. They mean something like: "Am right?" or "Do you agree?" They are very common in English.

The basic structure is:    Statement            question tag
      
                                     Positive statement, negative tag?
                                     Snow is white,       isn't it?

                                     Negative statement, Positive tag?
                                     You don't like me,  Do you?
Notice that the question tag repeats the auxiliary verb (or main verb when be) from the statement and changes it to negative or positive. 
                                   
Glossary:

Go in for: Want to, do something with pleasure.
Bold: Brave, courageous.
Bitterness: Resentement, anger.              
Solidarity: Support, agreement.
Chapter: Local group of an organization.
Gorgeous: Beautiful, attractive.
Flamboyant: Showy, loud, colorful.
Brag: Boast, show of.
Self improvement: Working hard to become better.
Nurturing: Offering kind, supportive care.
Bunch of: A group of things growing close together.
Face (verb): To overcome by confronting boldy or bravely.
Keep an eye on: To watch closely or carefully.
Pass away: Dead.
Widow: When your husband/wife died.
Elderly: Being past middle age.
Generation: A group of individuals born and living about the same time.
Mourning: The period during which a death is mourned.
Population: All of the people inhabitting a specified area.
Senior: Grade above others of the same set or class.


No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario